Friday, February 20, 2015

new studio: inside

Some shots from inside my new studio. Hover your cursor over each image to see its caption. Otherwise, read the descriptive text that accompanies each image.

Below, this first shot shows the kitchenette, the studio's front door, and my bathroom door (left). You might not agree with the way I've set up the clothing rack, and I'd agree that it's unsightly as it is, but right now, that's the best place to put it. I might change its position once my bed arrives. I took this shot while sitting on my makeshift bed, which right now is nothing more than two blankets folded in half along the long axis to provide some padding. That leaves me with no blanket to put on top of me, so I just wear my winter coat to bed. This is basically how I started out in my Hayang studio back in 2013. My life proceeds in tight little circles.


Next: below is a shot of my metal table, which cost me only about $36. You'll note the nightstand, which I'd ordered from online via Wi Mae Peu ("We Make Price"). It's much smaller than I thought it would be, but 'tis enough, 'twill serve. Also visible in this shot is Charles's oven, given to me as a birthday gift in 2013 and about to be unboxed (see below). You also see my stubby fridge, some pots and pans, and the obligatory mess of wires.


A shot taken while standing—roughly from the same position as the first photo.


The following shot was taken while I stood next to the kitchenette. I've turned around; the front door is behind me, and you can see my desk (thanks again, Joe) and my, uh, "bed." The studio's one big window gives a lovely view of the parking lot and of the building across the way. No sweeping panoramas here, alas.


A better shot of the "bed" and its environs:


A closeup of the nightstand. I texted this picture to my brother David, who commented, "Nice!"


Charles will be happy to see that I've finally deployed my birthday gift. I also bought a microwave the other day; decided to go with a tiny one, after all, because it was on sale for very cheap, and because it looks and works just like the microwave from my Hayang studio—simple, and brutally efficient.


Commenter Texas Annie had asked for wide shots of the kitchenette. I don't normally take requests (or orders) regarding what content I put on my blog, but I decided, what the hell, and have consented to show my kitchenette off in some detail. Below, my kitchenette as seen from an angle:


Here's a closer shot of the sink/counter/cabinets area, which drives home the point that I have almost zero counter space, and that's why I don't feel the urge to put up wide shots (I'd rather focus on the food). As you see, my stove is electric, not gas, which means I won't spend quite as much money on gas, thank Cthulhu:


My next post will show you some exterior shots so that stalkers will have an easier time finding me.





_

2 comments:

Anne in Rockwall, TX said...

Thanks for the view of your kitchen. It helps me appreciate how much extra effort must go into your meals trying to juggle around with so little counter space.

As someone who loves to cook, I can't wait to see what else you create.

Charles said...

Not bad!

Looking forward to seeing all the awesome stuff you'll be cooking with the oven. Casseroles, stuffed game hens, small children, etc.