Saturday, December 01, 2018

some vids

I normally laugh when I'm watching preview trailers for horror films, mainly because most horror films no longer really do it for me: I tend to view them as comedies. I might jump at a jump-scare moment, but otherwise, there's little to no emotional engagement with the film. Characters in horror films tend to make stupid decisions, and the scripts for such films are generally so poorly written that, had a character decided to do the smart thing at any moment during the story, the movie would have ended right at that moment.

I did, however, see "The Exorcist" at a young enough age that its particular horror tropes imprinted themselves firmly in my consciousness. This isn't to say that most movies about demonic possession still scare me, but every once in a while, a movie will come along that shows some promise, and I won't laugh my way through the preview trailer. Such is the case with "The Possession of Hannah Grace," which looks a bit creepy. The story idea seems novel, too: it takes place in the aftermath of a failed exorcism, when the body of the possessed has been transferred to the morgue... but the demon might still be in residence inside the corpse. Here—have a peek:


Confusingly, a dude in the trailer talks about how "evil" has to find "a new vessel" in the case of a failed exorcism, but whatever evil resides inside Hannah Grace seems to be perfectly content to stay there. The devil in "The Exorcist" made a similar threat: it planned to stay within Regan "until she rots and lies stinking in the earth."

In other news: my brother Sean asked me whether I'd ever heard of Hobo Johnson and the LoveMakers. I had to say no, but I promised Sean I'd look them up. They seem to be some sort of white-boy rap group led by a guy with a barely pubescent mustache:


Not exactly my cup of tea, but not horrible, either. I can sense something soulful going on even if I'm not really into the genre. But that's just me: the group's videos are getting millions of views on YouTube, so... more power to 'em!



No comments: