Thursday, June 04, 2020

the return of the chowder

Frustratingly, my local groceries aren't selling scallops, but they've got salmon and seafood medleys, so I bought those and, after spending way too long cutting up celery, potatoes, and mushrooms into little cubes, I now have the makings of a seafood chowder.

The motivation for this chowder began with the chicken pot pie: I simply had too much leftover cream sauce, even after making a second pot pie, so I decided to use the rest of the sauce up by making chowder. A bit of advice: never make nearly a gallon of Béchamel sauce unless you have very specific plans for every ounce of it. As I wrote above, I ended up making a second giant pot pie, which I brought to work on Tuesday. It got devoured. For the chowder, I used up the rest of the Béchamel and added my remaining heavy cream plus several cups of milk to thin the mix out. But that's the result of improv, not "very specific plans."

The chowder is pretty much ready to go; I need to cook and add in a pile of bacon, and I'll add the seafood on the day I bring the chowder to work (this coming Friday). Photos of the results may or may not appear. Stay tuned.



3 comments:

The Maximum Leader said...

We must be psychically attuned. While my craving has not been for a seafood chowdah, I've had a similar craving. I've been craving a savory seafood medley pie in a creamy sauce (with a hint of sherry). I bought a seafood medley bag in fact. (Shrimp, clams, scallops, squid, and cod.) I was going to make a pie out of them. Let me know how it turns out.

Kevin Kim said...

Will do!

Kevin Kim said...

Coincidentally, the seafood medley that I bought yesterday had almost the same critters as the medley you described. Spooky.