Tuesday, June 09, 2020

Sunday decadence

One final chicken pot pie! Out of the oven:


Upside-down as part of a two-step flip:


Now on a cutting board:


Obligatory sliced-open shot:


The pie was excellent, and I enjoyed it alone.

Here's a poor attempt at a strawberry (well, raspberry) shortcake:


I bought the wrong cake from Paris Baguette—a place I shouldn't be shopping at to begin with. Even with my homemade raspberry sauce and whipped cream, the cake itself tasted horrible; its taste dominated the whole dessert, and I felt as if my efforts had been wasted.

I normally buy a different sort of spongy cake from Paris Baguette when I'm making shortcake, but my desired cake wasn't in stock at 10:30 p.m., when I finally had a chance to visit the bakery just before its 11 p.m. closing time. Ah, well. Better luck next time.



2 comments:

Charles said...

That pot pie looks amazing.

I generally make mine with just the pastry lid--which I suppose technically means it's not actually a pie. There is certainly something attractive about a full pie done well.

Over the weekend, HJ wanted some "British-style cake," meaning a proper hefty cake with eggs and butter and such. We were passing by one place that looked like it had what fit the bill, but when we got home we were disappointed to discover that it was just a chiffon cake (and a rather dry one at that) that had been layered to look like a real cake. So hard to find real, decent cake here.

Kevin Kim said...

Never enough eggs, butter, and sugar in most Korean cakes, alas.