Saturday, June 27, 2020

not exactly Lysol

I miss Dettol. The Korean brand still exists, but what I specifically miss is the Dettol spray, which was the Korean answer to American Lysol, a popular disinfectant spray. I've seen other sprays on the market here, and I've bought them, but none of them really seemed to fit the bill, mainly because disinfection wasn't their primary function. But on a recent trip to the local Daiso, I found the following:


Maybe I was seduced by the power of marketing, but the above spray says "STERILIZING" in huge font, which would seem to indicate the spray's top priority, function-wise. (Another common term is "항균/hang-gyun," or "disinfecting.") I bought two bottles and brought them home. A test-firing revealed a rather strong chemical smell, which was reassuring. I now use this spray to combat the odor already coming out of my new air conditioner; I hope I'm not inadvertently creating superbugs by doing this.

This spray is the closest I've come to finding a Dettol surrogate, and it'll have to do for now. I keep hoping that Dettol will go back to producing that Lysol-like spray again, but as I've sadly noted before, everything I like disappears.



No comments: