Tuesday, June 23, 2020

pasta: first attempt in years

Homemade spaghetti, currently drying before I do a test cook:


And here's the pasta with Alfredo sauce (true Alfredo for once, not my usual faux-Fredo):


The texture is great. Not exactly al dente, but still firm, and cooked just right. I put a bit too much sea salt in the pasta water, but that's a minor mistake; I'll simply add less next time. (I confess I'm not exactly a fan of the "make your pasta water as salty as the sea" rule of thumb. That's pretty intensely salty to me.) Aside from that, though, this may have been a case of beginner's luck. The pasta turned out way better than I expected, and I now need to process the rest of the batch, bag it up, and freeze it. I'll need to make a lot more pasta later this week, but that shouldn't be a problem (said he overconfidently).