Thursday, December 07, 2006

spam

A recent article said that about 90% of the world's email traffic is now spam.

That's too modest a figure.

In my case, I probably receive anywhere from five to ten legitimate emails per day-- from family, friends, Smoo staffers, and sundry readers of this blog. That's not much email-- a modest trickle at best.

But the spam...

I probably get about 400 spam mails a day. The problem doesn't worry me too much because I've got Satan, my lovely spam filter, which operates according to the following rule:

"If email subject line DOES NOT contain phrase 'HAIRY CHASMS,' send to trash."

I had the same rule on my old Hotmail account, and it worked like a charm. Hotmail was actually more ruthless than Google's Gmail: a trashed email simply disappeared (whether Hotmail still operates this way, I don't know), and the above-quoted rule was applied the way I had hoped it would be: the sender needed to include the exact phrase "hairy chasms" to get through the filter.

Gmail is more lenient. First, a trashed email isn't automatically deleted. You can sift through your trash to find emails mistakenly sent by friends who've forgotten to include the magic words. That's a blessing and a curse-- a blessing in that I'm happy to rescue that friend's email, and a curse in that it's a minor pain to root through hundreds of chunks of crap to find one or two salvageable items.

Second, Gmail's interpretation of the filter command is what I believe to be a Boolean "OR." A person sending me an email can get past my spam filter by writing any of the following phrases:

hairy
chasms
hairy chasms


So an invisible "and/or" lurks between "hairy" and "chasms" in Gmail's mind.

Luckily, almost all the spam I receive contains neither "hairy" nor "chasms" in the subject line. I've used Gmail since June 3, 2004; during that time, only two or three pieces of spam have ever managed to find their way into my in-box. That's 99.99% effectiveness.

But if my trash is filled daily with 400 pieces of junk, and I receive an average of 7.5 kosher emails a day, then the percentage of spam, for me, is:

400 divided by 407.5 = 98.2%

So-- 98 percent of my mail is spam. Luckily, thanks to my spam filter, almost none of it (that is to say, only 0.01% of it) reaches my in-box.


_

No comments:

Post a Comment

READ THIS BEFORE COMMENTING!

All comments are subject to approval before they are published, so they will not appear immediately. Comments should be civil, relevant, and substantive. Anonymous comments are not allowed and will be unceremoniously deleted. For more on my comments policy, please see this entry on my other blog.

AND A NEW RULE (per this post): comments critical of Trump's lying must include criticism of Biden's lying on a one-for-one basis! Failure to be balanced means your comment will not be published.