Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Walk Thoughts #36: comically swollen hand


Tonight's walk was close to six hours long and totaled 39,166 steps. My pedometer's saying I walked just over 20 miles, which must be why I'm so fucking achy and tired. It's after 4AM, and I have to go to work in the morning, but during the upcoming long walk, I'll have the luxury of stopping in an inn, getting a room, quickly washing my clothes, taking some aspirin, gulping down a frugal meal, then resting my feet and back for 15 hours straight. That ought to be enough of a "reset" to allow me to start fresh, day after day.

So I apparently survived 20-plus miles with mild-but-endurable discomfort. Achy feet, achy back, but otherwise okay. A few aspirin, and I'll be right as rain.

In other news: I took my boss's suggestion and spoke with one of the guards who works in our building's lobby, asking him if he could take care of bill-paying for me while I'm away. I handed him a white envelope with W300,000 in it to more-than-cover my "rent" (really, it's an admin fee) and my gas bill, which doesn't come monthly anymore. He said he'd carry my cash over to the admin office and get all this taken care of, after which he'd give me back any change and even prep a receipt for me. I told him he could keep the remaining cash for himself, but he smiled and shook his head. He's a decent man, this gent. Most of my building's guards are friendly; one or two are a bit on the surly-Frenchman side.

Little else to do now but run down the clock. To be honest, I'm not doing much at work these days, so I really am just running down the clock.



5 comments:

John Mac said...

You done good! I don't know why I'M so excited, but this is going to be fun.

Surprises Aplenty said...

So, uh, what happened to your hand?

Kevin Kim said...

My hands typically swell on long hikes, but this particular swelling was simultaneously egregious and humorous.

Lots more on hand-swelling here.

Kevin Kim said...

John,

I'm hoping it'll be fun, too. Fingers and tentacles crossed.

And I see, from your recent post, that you'll be leaving Seoul only a few days after I'm back from my walk. Let's meet up for dinner before then.

hahnak said...

excited!!!