Monday, January 15, 2018

15,000 words and counting

I apologize for not putting up my "Last Jedi" meditation yet, but I just finished the second part, and the blog post currently stands at almost 15,000 words. When I finish the third section, this monster is going to be well over 20,000 words (at 250 words per typed, double-spaced page, that's around 80 pages), and I seriously doubt I'll have the energy to hack it down to something more manageable over the coming week. Upshot: you're in for a lot of reading, and the prose is going to be rough-draft-ish in quality. Mea culpa in advance.

ADDENDUM: if you want the TL;DR version of the piece, it goes something like this:

1. Movie was good, but not great.
2. I agree with some complaints, but not others.
3. The new Force metaphysics builds upon what's come before; the movie deals with themes of failure, renewal/rebirth, and putting aside the past.

You're welcome.



5 comments:

Charles said...

Sometimes you just have to know when to say, "Enough."

Still interested in reading it, though. Sounds relatively positive. My problem is that the more I think about the movie, the less I like it.

Kevin Kim said...

Yeah—days ago, this went from being a meditation to being a project. But it's been fun to write, which is why I persist. You might be the only person to read the final post through in its entirety.

Maybe I should publish a severely edited/truncated post up front and put the full-length piece in my "frank posts" area...

John from Daejeon said...

Life's little joys.

Some people golf, while others write, and write, and write, and write rather long "Star Wars" reviews.

I can't wait to see your homemade Chewbacca and R2D2 costumes. However, if you make a Jar Jar Binks costume, I'd say you have a problem.

Charles said...

Well, as long as you're having fun, write away. The moment it becomes a chore, though, I say pull the plug.

Kevin Kim said...

John,

For what it's worth, the review is only one of three parts, and it's actually not very long. The rest of the piece is a summary (which is the first half or two-thirds of part 1), a Q&A-format discussion of some major issues, and a meditation on the movie's themes and concepts.

If I make a Jar-Jar costume, it'll definitely be for you.