Wednesday, September 20, 2023

2 shots from a walk

I took two pics during my 14K walk out to the Jamshil Bridge last night. In the first pic below, what intrigued me was the Thai script. I used Google Translate's photo function to see what the Thai said; the translation for the first line was "Workers' Lounge," which is what the large-font Korean script says. I got some sort of nonsense translation for the second line of Thai, so unless Justin swings by and tells me what it says, I'm shit out of luck. And why is there even Thai script on the building at all? Does the company employ Thai workers?

And below is a nicely blurry shot of two neoguri (raccoon dogs). One reason for the blur is that my phone's camera sucks for nighttime photos, but another reason is that I fumbled with the camera and thought I was in video mode when I pressed the button to start the video. Nope: I was still in regular camera mode, and this was the result.

The neoguri took a long time to notice me, but when they did, they both freaked and shot off the path, disappearing into the bushes as neoguri are wont to do.



3 comments:

eastnortheast said...

I spoke with a few native Thai speakers and the Google translate was correct - the Thai script says "Workers Lounge" or "Workers Office". Second line is the same as the first.

A lot of Thai workers in Korea, with most of them being illegal. In Thailand, they call Thai people who go to Korea to work illegally "little ghosts".

Funny, in that there are a lot of illegals in Thailand, with most coming from Myanmar, Laos, and Cambodia.

Brian

Kevin Kim said...

Thanks. I didn't even notice the sameness, but it makes sense since the second line of Korean is the same, too. For whatever reason, though, Google translated the second line of text nonsensically, even including some weird, random numbers in the translation. Maybe it was the poor lighting.

Justin said...

Hey, I was only a week late seeing this. Wonder what kind of company that is.