Saturday, September 23, 2023

I shouldn't have, I know

In the ongoing campaign to use up leftovers, I had some beef, shrimp, veggies, cashews, and generic Asian sauce from a previous effort at cashew shrimp on rice. I didn't think I had enough left over, so I went to the grocery and bought myself some buldak (fire-chicken) sauce, thinking that the added spiciness would make the overall sauce feel "bigger" somehow. Instead of rice, I bought some small packs of udong (thick, Japanese-style noodles called udon across the pond) since I wanted something texturally different.

So a few days ago, I threw everything together, frying up the cashews to brown them a bit, slicing up the veggies in that pretentious on-the-bias way that Westerners associate with Asian cooking, slicing and frying up the beef, and throwing in the shrimp toward the end. The result was what you see below, and it was magnificent. The third pic in the series is from the following day. I don't even know what to call this dish. Soegogi-saewoo-udong bokgeum (쇠고기 새우 우동 볶음)? How about Surf & Turf Asian Pasta?



This was made the following day with a different packet of udong.

Sweet, spicy, carby sauce and super-carby rice noodles, but so damn good. I need to make this again, at scale, for the office crew. My boss tried a sample and liked it.



No comments: