Sunday, June 30, 2024

a walk in the rain

From Saturday night to Sunday morning, I schlepped the 22 kilometers from Gayang Station in western Seoul to Unyang Station in the neighboring city of Gimpo. It rained all night—big, warm droplets—then tapered off around 5 a.m. I took the subway from my place to get out to the Gayang area, arriving at 11:58 p.m. By the time I got to the street level and started my walk, it was exactly midnight, which made timing the walk easy enough.

I kept expecting the split from the Four Rivers trail to happen much sooner than it actually did. The entire first quarter of the trek was familiar ground. As for pictures: I took more than I thought I would because there were frequent breaks in the rain, but I also took quite a few pictures while the rain was coming down. My bowels were of course acting up, so I frequently had to stop at whatever public toilet I ran across, leaving bits of myself all along the Seoul-Gimpo axis. Almost no one was out; I think I encountered one lone biker before sunrise. By 5 a.m., though, I was in proper civilization, which meant cars and people were out in force—this despite it being a Sunday.

The walk was slow. I reached Unyang Station at 6:35 a.m. Subtract a few minutes for all the pit stops I took, and 22K took me about 6.5 hours to do. That's a speed of a bit more than 3.8 kph—pretty slow. I've walked faster since leaving the hospital, but this was a rainy night, and I was water-logged thanks to my utterly useless rain jacket, which got soaked despite my having sprayed it with a waterproofing agent last year.

The feet held up, but the wetness meant that my toes suffered some irritation, and my left shoe did that gross thing that happens when it rains: it began producing some sort of nasty foam that bubbled up through the shoe material and onto the top of my foot as I walked. I have to wonder if this foam marks the beginning of trench foot. I'm never in the rain long enough for it to get serious, but the foam really is disgusting.

At several points, I was serenaded by masses of horny frogs, all calling out for mates. Sometimes, the frogs would croak in a syncopated, choral rhythm; at other times, all I heard was a chaotic cacophony. I made a brief recording of the frogs; you can hear just how loud they are. I also encountered almost a dozen river crabs, which were probably on the asphalt bike path for the same reasons that earthworms appear when it rains: flooded soil (I assume these crabs are all air-breathers).

Parts of the walk went by fast, subjectively speaking, especially toward the beginning. Other parts—the last four-fifths, really—went by quite slowly. My feet ended up hurting a little, and I was pretty tired by the end. It's been a while since I walked such a distance, but aside from my bathroom breaks, I took no rests. I also didn't experience a lick of chest pain; I had my nitro pills with me, though, at the boss's insistence. This was annoying because the pills aren't supposed to be exposed to heat, and they were exposed to both a warm summer night and to my body heat. Still, part of the reason for the lack of chest pain may have been how flat the walk was: over the course of 22 kilometers, there was only one modest hill that came near the very end, just before I found myself quite suddenly downtown. I also fasted all day before doing the walk, so that might have been a factor.

While the path was mostly new to me, and the whole thing was an adventure thanks to the rain, I'm not sure how much I liked the route as a whole. The path reminded me of the east coast: very militarized, with plenty of barbed wire, and bunkers and observation posts spaced at regular intervals. Signs tell you not to take pictures, and I obeyed the injunction for the most part, but I did sneak a few pics. I was also never far from some sort of civilization; this wasn't like the quiet paths through farmland that you walk along when taking the Four Rivers trail through the middle of the country. Traffic was constant at all hours of the night: Korea is a place of 24/7 activity. But as I suspected would be the case, the path was empty during the night, with only the one aforementioned biker interrupting my serenity.

I might want to try this path again in the daytime later in the year, when it's cooler. But I'm in no hurry; it wasn't the most inspiring walk I've ever done.

Enjoy the photos that follow.

A few minutes after leaving Gayang Station, I'm by the Han River and heading west toward Gimpo.

a familiar rock-climbing wall

under the Banghwa Bridge

sign for the bridge

A quick video to let you hear the sound of those lusty frogs:

I always imagine them going, "Bud... wei... ser."

one of many river crabs

Haengju Bridge, which I jokingly refer to as "Dishrag Bridge" (haengju = dishrag)
Seriously, though, the haengju in this photo comes from different Chinese characters that don't mean "dishrag."

Right around here is where I part ways with the Four Rivers trail to embark on something new to me.

I'm going to end up crossing this bridge. For now, I go under it.

This is where I loop around and get on the bridge I just passed under.

It's the Jeonho Bridge.

This is all new to me. Everything from here to the end is new.


The barbed wire starts early.

The presence of the military is palpable this close to the DMZ.

one of many things I probably shouldn't be photographing

This straightaway went on for kilometers.

I did my best to capture the rain.

Freeway to the left, river to the right.

Breaking dawn. I did not use a blue filter. This is what my camera recorded.

where trucks go to sleep


I'm following a bike path called the Pyeonghwa Nuri Path. Pyeonghwa is "peace." Nuri might mean "enjoy."


another thing I'm probably not supposed to photograph

the Ilsan Bridge

A sign reassures me I'm still on the right path.

a sign for the Ilsan Bridge


I think it's safe to say I'm out of Seoul and in Gimpo.

a rare downhill

whoops

garden by the bridge


I thought of gallows.

Real danger... or empty threat?


another sign, this one warning of lost mines


It looks like mud sloughing away, but it may be rock. Which doesn't explain the plants growing out of it.


the only incline that came close to being a real hill


We're in town now, and on the final stretch.

a mix of American and European styles



I thought this was a nifty building at first, then I saw it was only another Holly's Coffee.

the Echo Center bus stop

Gimpo Han River Wild Birds Ecological Park

a lamp made to look like a giant dandelion

The Hue!

The green sign, upper left, indicates that Unyang Station is thataway.

just a few hundred more meters to go

another sign for Unyang Station (green, upper right)

downtown and almost there

Unyang Station in the flesh

the Unyang pylon

the Unyang Station maw, 6:35 a.m.

gotta love my scraggly hair, especially that one jutting upward

I did some laundry and have just finished this blog post, so I'm now going to crash for a bit before waking up and having a Sunday. I hope you enjoyed the photo essay.



8 comments:

Daniel said...

Sounds and looks like a very respectable, if uninspiring, trail.

All that fasting and keto eating must be helping. Forget diabetics walking around with a pack of nitroglycerin, most supposedly 'healthy' people I know can't handle a 22km walk (especially at night and in the rain). Maybe it was the angle, but you face is looking decidedly slimmer and toned as well. (Alas, the same cannot be said for drenched hair!)

I know you've sworn off cheat days, but after last night's adventure, I think you definitely deserve at least a portion of a low-carb, high-protein cheat meal... If nothing else, consider it an offering to the gods of the trail.

Kevin Kim said...

I fed myself some low-carb leftovers of cheese and Spanish chorizo, and also had a larger-than-usual smoothie, so we're good. While in town at the end of the walk, I passed a 24-hour GS25 and got a lemon Coke Zero and a small bag of cashews.

It's 6 p.m. as I write this comment, and I'm frustrated by how bright and beautiful the weather is. I really got pissed on last night. I chose the worst time span in which to walk.

Daniel said...

It was indeed a lovely afternoon! And no rain in the forecast until Wednesday morning...

I'm guessing the GS25 was out of the much tastier Cherry Coke Zero? (Which I prefer many fold over the lemon-flavored equivalent).

Kevin Kim said...

Yes, Cherry Coke Zero was the first thing I looked for, and... nada. But just as hunger is the best sauce, thirst after a long walk is the best drink enhancer, and the lemon Coke Zero actually tasted good. Lemon Coke Zero isn't my go-to drink, but this morning, it hit the spot.

Daniel said...

Indeed, 시장이 반찬이다 ~

Kevin Kim said...

I had to look that up because I was wondering how one equates markets to banchan. In looking up the expression, I discovered 시장 also means "hunger."

Phonetically, the saying reminds me of 시작이 반이다. So I initially wondered whether 시장이 반찬이다 was intended as a pun.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed vicariously tagging along on your hike. Had to laugh at your comment on the mine sign. Not to much upside in being proven correct that it was an empty threat and a whole lot of downside. You chose wisely to to let (potential) sleeping mines lie.

Also glad that the walk went smoothly health wise. Long distance hiking certainly not a race, it is a journey, so whatever pace is comfortable for you is the pace to go at.

Brian

John Mac said...

It was nice to be back in Korea again. Thanks for taking me along with you. Some very nice photos, as usual, and definitely a different vibe on this walk. It looked to be a good one, but I'm glad you didn't have a blast. It's good to see the ROK taking its defense seriously, although random and "lost" mines seem a bit over the top.

The best news is that you don't have chest pain, and that bodes well for the journeys ahead. It sounds like you had a 22-kilometer jaunt back to normal. Keep it up!