Tuesday, June 25, 2024

go figure

I did a full 9K walk Monday evening, and once again, I didn't need to stop at all. There's was a brief span of time when I expected to feel some sort of chest pain, but the pain never occurred. Go figure. I have no idea why this might happen, and it's very tempting to tie this to my having taken the nitroglycerin tablet two Sundays ago. But as I wrote before, it was hard to find information on the longer-term effects of nitroglycerin: most sources talked about how the medicine tended to take effect within five minutes, leaving metabolites behind. My own utterly inexpert theory is that something psychosomatic occurred: I took the pill, and my heart "learned" or "realized" that it didn't need to clench up every time I went for a walk. I'm very likely wrong in this, and I'll ask my docs about it on July 12 when I see them. For the moment, all I can say is that I'm enjoying this little slice of normalcy. It's nice not to worry about chest pains just from walking. How long this might last, I have no clue.



1 comment:

  1. No idea what has changed, but it's a good thing. I reckon you'll be back to those 20K jaunts soon enough. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

READ THIS BEFORE COMMENTING!

All comments are subject to approval before they are published, so they will not appear immediately. Comments should be civil, relevant, and substantive. Anonymous comments are not allowed and will be unceremoniously deleted. For more on my comments policy, please see this entry on my other blog.

AND A NEW RULE (per this post): comments critical of Trump's lying must include criticism of Biden's lying on a one-for-one basis! Failure to be balanced means your comment will not be published.