Sunday, January 02, 2011

first belly laugh of the new year

This image has probably been around for a long time, but it's the first time I've seen it:


I can't stop laughing at it. And yes, I guess that says something about my fallen nature.

It's a pic that has everything. You've got Keanu Reeves in some sort of wheeled, jury-rigged ground sled, and he's chasing some poor toddler; you've got vicious Huskies pulling the sled; you've got Leonardo DiCaprio in the background, gaily strolling along; you've got the muscular Old Spice Dude from those commercials, striking a martial pose in the distance while holding up his product; and finally, there's that puppy off to the side, which has joined in bloodthirsty pursuit of the toddler. I'm still trying to figure out the graffito, which looks to be saying, "No fire extinguishers allowed."

Can you tell I'm envious? Such a pic isn't beyond my own admittedly meager Photoshopping skills, but whatever the image lacks in technique it makes up for in composition. The pic tells a story; it makes me want to know what that toddler must have done to incur the wrath of Keanu, whose expression somehow combines his usual blandness with a look of focused intent. Might the key to understanding this story lie in whatever the toddler is holding (it looks, to me, like a shaker of butter salt)? Or is that object merely a McGuffin? Possibilities swirl, coalesce, and break apart in my mind.

Go, Keanu! Get that kid!


_

2 comments:

Charles said...

I could be mistaken, but it almost looks like the symbol on the kid's jacket is the BP logo.

Kevin Kim said...

I was thinking the same thing. Kinda puts a political spin on the matter.