Saturday, December 10, 2011

stew

I had no idea, at first, whether this stew was even going to turn out OK. I fried up some ground beef (the cheap 70/30 stuff), drained it, and threw it into a pot with diced potatoes, diced carrots, frozen peas, and a variety pack of mushrooms from the local Food Lion. The stew's broth (which is actually a lot thicker than it looks in the shot below) was made from a leftover can of turkey broth, a can of beef gravy, some water, and some cornstarch as thickener. Salt, pepper, powdered garlic, powdered onion, and a healthy pinch of thyme all contributed to the alchemy. The result ended up being pretty damn good, and I've got enough stew to last me a few days.



While I'd have preferred a different sort of beef for the stew, I used what I had on hand. Next time, the only thing I'd change would be the meat. In fact, I think I'd like to go for more of a steak-and-kidney-pie effect. Will have to see whether Food Lion carries organ meats. I think it does.


_

1 comment:

Charles said...

Argh! I have been trying to get my hands on kidney here for the better part of the past decade, just so I can make steak-and-kidney (and Guinness!) pie. No luck so far.

Seeing you blogging about stew, though, makes me wonder if I shouldn't chronicle my own culinary adventures this evening...