Friday, December 25, 2020

off to the east coast tomorrow

It's a bit after 10 p.m. on Christmas Day.  I hope you've had a merry Christmas.  Mine was pretty quiet and involved little more than eating shrimp in creamy wine sauce that was left over from the office luncheon.  I'm just taking it easy, and I'll finish the evening by doing some laundry and prepping partway for my trip out to the east coast.  I've reserved my first night out at a pension called Haedanghwa, three kilometers north of the east-coast bike path's official starting point; at W70,000, it's not very cheap, and from what I've seen, it's going to be mostly pensions all the way down the east coast.  That's something to consider.

The plan is to walk along the east coast for three days.  The weather forecast has been very fickle; sometimes I see rain in my future, sometimes not.  The temperature is also going to be unseasonably warm:  around 50º Fahrenheit (10º C) for at least two of my three walking days—almost enough for me to be in short sleeves.  Currently, I'm seeing "PM showers" forecast for the third and final day of my walk, but that's going to be a problem only if I arrive at my endpoint very late that day, I think.  The three-day walk will require five calendar days to complete:  I'm going out to the east coast tomorrow, but because I'm staying overnight in a pension, I won't be starting until the morning of the following day.  Then, after the third day of walking, I'll be staying overnight once more and walking 8 km to the nearby intercity bus terminal the following morning (the 30th).  Five calendar days.

I have high hopes that I'll make some interesting discoveries.  Stay tuned for pictures; I'm sure there'll be plenty to see along South Korea's east coast.



3 comments:

John Mac said...

It's really great that you can get out and see something new. Looking forward to the photos. Good luck and enjoy!

Daniel said...

Godspeed!

Daniel said...

Don't forget to try the local delicacy, freeze-dried fish - gwamaegi...