Monday, June 10, 2024

why is YouTube suddenly filled with presenters who can't talk?

Are Americans becoming mealy-mouthed mumblers, or is this just some sort of linguistic fad that I'm simply going to have to endure, like hearing people blare out "Not!" or shouting "Amazeballs!"? It seems to me that there's been a proliferation of presenters on YouTube who no longer care to enunciate their words: they speak in a combination of a mumble, a slur, and a whine. It's extremely annoying to listen to, and I'm going to show you three examples of what I mean below. Is this really the future of YouTube? The future of American English?

(These are YouTube Shorts, so I can't embed them.)

@CohenThompson (slur, mumble)

JapanEat (very mumbly)

Chef_Tyler (less mumble, more whine)

My ears are bleeding.



1 comment:

  1. Yes, they are all hard to listen to.

    It reminded me of an incident from early in my labor relations career. I was doing my first arbitration as the advocate for management. Understandably, I was nervous and had written out my opening statement so as to ensure I didn't forget to raise any key points. Before I was halfway done, the arbitrator, who was from New Orleans, stopped. In that thick Louisiana drawl, he said, "Son, you're gonna have to slow down; I can't understand a thing you are saying."

    ReplyDelete

READ THIS BEFORE COMMENTING!

All comments are subject to approval before they are published, so they will not appear immediately. Comments should be civil, relevant, and substantive. Anonymous comments are not allowed and will be unceremoniously deleted. For more on my comments policy, please see this entry on my other blog.

AND A NEW RULE (per this post): comments critical of Trump's lying must include criticism of Biden's lying on a one-for-one basis! Failure to be balanced means your comment will not be published.