Thursday, July 06, 2017

Ave, Steve!

My buddy Dr. Steve doCarmo writes a review of Episode 8 of the new "Twin Peaks" revival series, in which David Lynch picks up where he left off after two-and-a-half decades. I never watched the original "Twin Peaks," so I imagine that, were I to try to get in on the new show, I'd see nothing but a series of solipsistic in-jokes where "Twin Peaks" habitués would see profundity. I remember trying to sit through "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me" (the movie "sequel" to the canceled TV series) when it appeared on cable, but I had to change the channel after thirty or forty minutes. Too off-putting and disorienting. It's not that I hate David Lynch or despise his artistic vision: I sat through and appreciated both "Blue Velvet" and "Eraserhead," the latter being much more memorable than the former. (And before I forget: I also enjoyed "Wild at Heart.") But something kept me away from "Twin Peaks" during its 90s heyday, and "Fire Walk with Me" was just too much of a muchness. That said, Steve's well-written review was intriguing to me, and it almost made me want to watch the revived "Twin Peaks"... but then I realized I'd have to slog through the original series, plus "Fire Walk," to have the background to appreciate the new material.

Steve teaches English at a college out in Bucks County, Pennsylvania (the setting for the movie "Signs" by M. Night Shyamalan). He's a singer-songwriter, guitarist, composer, and all-around brain. He also leans waaaaay to the left, but don't let that stop you from reading good writing.



No comments: