Sunday, July 23, 2017

swerving away from "Dunkirk"

I woke up at the ungodly hour of 7AM and decided, "Nah. I want more sleep." And thus did I cancel my trip out to the cinema today to see "Dunkirk." I might see it next weekend, but for whatever reason, all desire to see the movie left me this morning. Meanwhile, I'm reading online that the French are upset about director Christopher Nolan's version of events at Dunkirk: his film apparently writes out the role of thousands of French troops who bravely remained to perform a holding action against the Germans while the British rescued their own.* A further wrinkle to that story is that elements of the British military turned around and rescued as many of the surviving French troops as they could. My understanding is that none of this is portrayed in Nolan's "Dunkirk," and it seems like an agaçante omission to me.



*A quick reading of the Wikipedia entry for this film shows that the French rear guard, as well as its evacuation, is mentioned in the movie, but there's little to nothing else said or shown about the French military, hence the scandalized French reaction.



No comments: