Friday, April 29, 2022

lasagna/focaccia lunch

The coworker's wife did not disappoint. Behold, lasagna and focaccia:

I took a shot of the loaf before it all disappeared (mainly down my gullet):

You can see some of the Jeju-picked gyul (tangarines) off to the side, along with a healthy chunk of the remaining lasagna, all of which was gone by the end of the day:

The lasagna had an interesting array of veggies in it. Carrots are often used in Italian red sauces, so their presence didn't surprise me, but what did surprise me were the green beans, which I would never have thought to put in the sauce. They were good, as it turned out: they added texture, and their taste was muted enough not to overwhelm the dish with green-beaniness. Also in the mix were more classical things like mushrooms, and the meat was actually my own home-ground sausage. My Korean coworker ended up plucking the sausage out of his food, which I found disappointing, but I'm beginning to realize he's a bit of a picky eater. When I called him out about the sausage, he tried dodging the issue by saying he'd simply eaten his fill, and that that little pile of meat was all that was left of the lasagna. 

Uh-huh.

The focaccia tasted fantastic, but because of how it was transported (totally covered), the crust got a bit soggy and ended up being soft. My Korean coworker, while not exactly complaining about the bread, said that he liked crunchy crusts better. Personally, I also thought that my bread from the day before was a bit better than the Missus's bread today, but this isn't to say her product was bad at all: it was tasty, and I probably ate nearly half the loaf myself. She's made focaccia for us before, and she obviously knows what she's doing.

Below—my second plate of food, consisting of the remaining 'sagna and bread:

All in all, a really good lunch that I didn't have to cook. And today's technically a cheat day (true, I cheated a lot yesterday), so I'll be back to the discipline tomorrow, fasting most of the day. There's always a price to be paid for these binges.



No comments: