Saturday, June 15, 2024

why have I never once considered this question?

I see trees standing alone all the time during my walks across Korean farmland, and it has never once occurred to me to wonder why there are so many of these lonely trees standing guard over all of that land. Trees are naturally found in clusters—copses, woods, forests. So a lone tree, especially on farmland, is almost certainly an act of man. Incredible that I never pondered this question before. But now that I'm thinking about it, here's one answer. The comments below the video provide others.





2 comments:

John from Daejeon said...

All of my extended family of farmers have no trees in their fields as they deprive crops of vital nutrients and moisture. However, some fields do have trees on borders between neighboring fields. Otherwise, there are a few trees for shade around farm houses and barns and in pastures to provide shade for farm animals. Also, many farmers favor fruit and nut trees on their properties to provide food in addition to shade and wind breaks.

Many older South Koreans still plant their entire yards with peppers and cabbages which I greatly admire as people who've been through war realize just how important food is.

Kevin Kim said...

I can confirm that last part: all you have to do is look at the photos from my various walks across the country to see plenty of peppers and cabbages. But you do also see the occasional lone tree.