Sunday, April 01, 2012

if you speak French and if you're a fanboy

Get ready, Poison Girls!

We're off to outer space
We're leaving Mother Earth
To save the human race
Our Star Blazers

Searching for a distant star
Heading off to Iscandar
Leaving all we love behind
Who knows what danger we'll find?

We must be strong and brave
Our home we've got to save
If we don't in just one year
Mother Earth will disappear

Fighting with the Gamilons
We won't stop until we've won
Then we'll return and when we arrive
The Earth will survive
With our Star Blazers


(lyrics found here)







Some enterprising soul has slapped up the French-dubbed version (no subtitles) of the 2010 "Space Battleship Yamato," the live-action remake of the old animé series known, in the US, as "Star Blazers." "Star Blazers" is a fixture from my childhood, and when I had originally heard about the live-action film, I was keen to see it, but never did. Finding this movie on YouTube is quite a coup, but as I said, it's dubbed in French.

I've already watched the first five or so minutes of the movie; visually speaking, it's a cross between the rebooted "Battlestar Galactica" and the old, 1980s-era "Buck Rogers" TV series with Gil Gerard and Erin Gray. The effects are on a par with some of the midrange fare you might find on the SyFy Channel (grrrr-- that spelling!). The dialogue, what I've heard of it, is earnest and corny-- typical for most SF. Once I'm done with my writing project, I'll likely sit through the whole thing and write up a review.







_

No comments: