Sunday, November 15, 2020

this Friday's meal starts coming together

When I'm making a full-on meal composed of many different dishes, I think about which dishes I can make first because they're easier to store and then serve several days later with no degradation in quality.  Expert chefs might dispute my thinking when it comes to Thanksgiving lunch, but I decided to work on mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce today:  I can make both, fridge them until Friday, then easily reheat the potatoes in our office's microwave.  Nothing ought to rot by then.

The potatoes are now done; the cranberry sauce soon will be (and thank you, once again, O Great and Powerful SSG Food Mart, for having frozen cranberries).  I've decided to take the cranberry sauce in a somewhat different direction this year:  I have two bags of cranberries and one bag of raspberries.  I'll combine the three, add sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a bit of orange juice (citric acid brightens the sauce up), and the result ought to be pretty good.  If it's not, I'll buy more cranberries and start again.

No photos.  I don't think I'll bother with food pics until this coming Friday.  More later.




No comments: