Saturday, May 21, 2022

food prep: where things stand

One of our number will not be joining us for the Saturday meal, which just means more food for the rest of us. The problem, though, is that of the two people who remain, one refuses to eat vegetables, and the other just warned me he can't eat too much because he's trying to diet before a doctor's appointment (a strategy I'm familiar with; my own appointment's in July). All the money and prep that went into this meal... and I'm probably going to feed most of it to my boss and coworkers at the office on Monday.

Anyway, there's little left to do in terms of prep. I'm baking a loaf of bread, now, and I've baked three small, humble layers of a chocolate cake that I'll frost in the morning (the same chocolate cake I've served twice before). The filet-mignon steaks will need to bathe in the sous vide for three hours (they're starting off frozen), but everything else ought to come together pretty quickly. I'll have the pan sauce, mashed potatoes, and asparagus soup either in slow cookers, where they can stay warm, or in the oven, which will be at a low temperature. The steaks, salmon, shrimp, asparagus, and mushrooms will all come together just before we all sit down to eat. This is going to be an interesting experience, trying to get the timing right. We'll see how everything goes. Expect photos.



No comments: