Saturday, May 14, 2022

possible concept for the surf-and-turf plate

Just spitballing ideas. Look at the concept art below (in case it's not obvious, the image isn't to scale). What do you think this needs? Bacon? Real asparagus spears to add a bit of angularity? There's going to be dark-green chimichurri either across the top of the steak or served on the side. Should I also have a side salad? I know some Koreans looking at this tableau would immediately ask where the veggies are. Leave your comments.



5 comments:

John Mac said...

I do like the idea of adding asparagus spears to the mix. They look good and taste good. I could take or leave the side salad.

Kevin Kim said...

Okay, I've got one vote!

Charles said...

Another vote for asparagus spears. Side salad might be a nice temperature/texture change from the rest of the meal, but I would go simple: fresh leafy greens with a simple vinaigrette and that's it.

Kevin Kim said...

I've decided on how final plating will look. The veggies will be simple: asparagus spears (with bacon sprinkles) and pan-fried button mushrooms. The surf will be jumbo shrimp and salmon steaks, and the turf will be filet mignon on a bed of mashed potatoes surrounded by a pool of asparagus purée. Fine dining.

Kevin Kim said...

Dips will be on the side: chimichurri and garlic butter.