Sunday, May 22, 2022

in the aftermath

I'm still reeling from yesterday's effort, but I'll be repeating the effort tomorrow, albeit on a smaller scale, when I take my food to the office to serve to the troops. Some food will be reheated; some will be fresh-cooked. And by the time tomorrow is done, my fridge and freezer will be back to being nearly empty.

I'll be serving filet mignon—the last two steaks I have. I'll get up early in the morning, and the steaks will be properly sous-vided and seared at my place, then I'll let them rest during the trip to work, and I'll slice them up and fan them out for presentation at the office, topped with bacon crumbles and pan sauce. Accompanying the beef will be fresh-cooked shrimp (cooked on site) in butter-garlic sauce, and the veggies will be my remaining mashed potatoes plus peas. There will also be a fresh loaf of bread. I think we have some butter at the office, and I know we have a small bottle of jam. I'll also be bringing along the chimichurri and more garlic butter as dipping sauces for the proteins. Lastly, after discovering how awesome it was to put ranch dressing on my bread, then sprinkle bacon on top, I'll be bringing along my ranch dressing as well so that others might experience the glory.

The asparagus soup I'd made for yesterday was, sadly, forgotten, and two of my three guests wouldn't have eaten it, anyway, so no big loss. I'll be taking the soup with me tomorrow. I tasted it today to make sure it hadn't gone bad (I've had bad luck on that score before); it was fine, but I re-boiled it anyway, just to be sure, and then I got the bright idea of amping the soup up a bit: I had three leftover potatoes plus plenty of crumbled bacon, so I added a tablespoon of bacon to the soup, then I peeled, cubed up, and boiled the potatoes before adding them to the soup as well. So now, it's an asparagus-potato-bacon soup with a creamy, chunky texture, and it's gonna be awesome (or so I hope).

I had wanted to present tomorrow's meal on elongated, rectangular plates, but I have only two of those, so I guess we'll just make do with my normal, heavy-duty, restaurant-grade plastic plates—the kind they use when you go to a place like Kimbap Cheon-guk (Kimbap Heaven).

Tomorrow's meal ought to be almost as good as Saturday's. And after that second orgy of food, I'll really have to get back on my dietary regime! Am feeling pretty bloated.



No comments: