Friday, May 27, 2022

starting earlier than expected

I'll be walking to Yangpyeong straight from my office. The boss is kindly letting me leave work early, so instead of leaving at 7 p.m., I'll be departing the office at 6 p.m. and making my way straight to the Han River path, which I'll follow past Hanam City and all the way to Yangpyeong. The nighttime part of the walk ought to be cool and pleasant; I'm looking forward to that. But come morning, after sunrise, maybe around 7 or 8 a.m., I'll have to break out my toshi (sleevelets) and hat, which I've brought with me. The hat doesn't always prevent neck sunburns, but that's all right. I'm just not looking forward to the heat of the morning sun, although I guess I can take comfort in the fact that morning sun isn't as bad as early-afternoon sun, especially from about 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Anyway, I ought to arrive in Yangpyeong around 11 a.m., so if the sunlight is bad from about 7 a.m. to 11 a.m., then that's only four hours of misery to deal with. I hate walking in the heat. I don't know how Hashers like John McCrarey manage the heat and humidity of Southeast Asia without going insane.

Righto—off in a few minutes. Don't expect photos because (1) I've done this route a million times before, and (2) it's mostly a nighttime walk, so the lighting will suck, anyway.

See you tomorrow!



1 comment:

John Mac said...

Who says Hashers aren't insane? As for the heat, to a certain extent, you get used to it. It's always there so finding a trail with lots of shade or a hilltop breeze is a plus. And now rainy season is on the horizon so instead of being soaked with sweat, I can "enjoy" being soaked in water on a muddy path. Soon I'll be missing those hot days of summer.