Sunday, May 22, 2022

the food-truck situation in South Korea

While I'm not really serious about ever opening my own food truck, I did get curious about the food-truck situation in South Korea. A quick Google search later, and I discovered that Wikipedia has a whole article, written in Konglishy English, about the topic. The article claims that "the number of food trucks reported in Seoul totaled 424,000 in late March [year?]." That's a lot of food trucks. The article shows a photo of what is presumably a typical food truck, and I realized this sort of thing looked familiar:

I saw the above pic and thought, You know, I've seen plenty of these around. I just never associated them with food trucks because, in my American brain, food trucks look like this:

The Wikipedia article makes it sound as if owning a food truck in Korea is a regulatory nightmare, and the article frankly states that a lot of food trucks have trouble keeping their heads above water (this is true with the food business in general), so I doubt I'll be applying for a food-vendor's license anytime soon.

That said, I do wonder, sometimes, what it might be like to run an eatery.



2 comments:

Charles said...

I would imagine that owning any sort of business here, food truck or no, would be a regulatory nightmare. I have had people suggest I open a bakery, and my usual response is to just laugh. Some things are best left as hobbies--and would become a lot less fun and rewarding if suddenly your livelihood depended on them.

Kevin Kim said...

I hear you.