Tuesday, August 23, 2022

a nice walk to the Jamshil Bridge

I did another nice walk out to the Jamshil Bridge and back to my place. I started from the office, and I didn't do all the extra walking I'd done yesterday, so today's walk time was only 189 minutes. That's roughly a 15K walk. Felt longer. Here are some pics. You can track the transition to twilight.

This first pic is interesting to me because it shows a major change in the gate that normally closes this area off. I've snuck into this area before, but the previous gate was a bit difficult to get past (at least for an unathletic person like me). Today, there was a totally new gate that was open wide enough for any old Joe to just walk right in. So I did.

The sign warns that only test-takers (for the driver's test) are allowed in.

Here's some of what I saw as I walked along the driver's test course:

I'm not sure, but I think those cars, way in the distance, are for people taking the driving test.

Another part of the course. Way in the back, you see the man-made hill that was above the water during the flood.

tahrs, tahrs, and more tahrs

I'm walking along the Tan Creek toward the Han River. Am almost at the end of the testing course.

another flood victim

one last look back at the behind-the-wheel test track

tracks of a different kind: animal tracks

Below, we have another major change: there used to be a fence separating the driving course from the space you see ahead (often used as a bus parking lot). I recall having to figure my way through that fence during one of my early walks.

de-fence-less

the hamnyubu/합류부 (confluence), where the Tan pours into the Han

I don't think I've ever taken this shot before. It's just a little connector between my path and the bike path.

a fisherman... fishing

My buddy JW predicted, almost two years ago, that this Chinese resto would go under. It's still here.

walking eastward along the Han, Jamshil Bridge in the distance

I was lucky to capture this guy. I don't usually have the wit to do so.

For whatever reason, the minor bike trails, like the one following the Tan Creek, don't tend to showcase unusual cycles, but the main trail along the Han River often has plenty of odd bikes and trikes rolling across it: 2- and 3-wheeled recumbent bikes, fat bikes, and bikes with trailers. I always want to take pics when these cycles whiz by, but I'm usually too slow to catch them. Today, I got lucky because I saw the above dude while he was still far away.

Jamshil Interchange(?), 100 m ahead
Lotte World Tower looming like Isengard in the background

almost at the bridge, a traditional U-turn point for me

From where I work in Daechi-dong to the Jamshil Bridge, it's a slightly shorter walk than it is from my apartment. From my apartment, the walk is almost exactly 100 minutes and a little over 10,000 steps. From work, it's almost exactly 10,000 steps but only 90-some minutes. I normally walk just past the bridge, then turn around and walk back to my place.

a flower near the bridge

a flower that's one of those colors that scans weirdly in my phone camera

Jamshil Bridge, with its little weir (probably there just to help aerate the water)

Seoul in the evening... not much of a cityscape, but still charming

digital zoom of Namsan in the distance (you can barely see it in the previous pic)

heading back at twilight

So that, good gentles, was today's walk. The weather was pleasant—surprisingly cool for an August evening. Here's hoping for a really brisk fall.



1 comment:

John Mac said...

Great photos. I especially enjoyed the sunset shots. There is a beauty and charm about Seoul I've rarely seen in other larges cities.