Saturday, April 27, 2024

uh-oh

It belatedly occurred to me that, when the doc wrote up my new prescription set, she didn't renew my insulin.* Now, I was given several insulin pens, which is enough insulin to last a few months, but what I really need are the attachable/detachable/disposable needles that you stick on the pens. On Monday, I'll have to visit the medical-supply store and see about needles.

If you're a normie who doesn't have to worry about insulin injections: they're a pain in the ass because you have to learn the ritual procedure for injecting yourself, and insulin turns out to have a bit of a chemical stink to it, but the actual injection is totally painless. The needle is supposed to penetrate the dermis, but it shouldn't go deeper and cause any bleeding. It's a very narrow, sharp needle, and in my case, I'm protected by a nice layer of blubber on my torso (injections are done in the abdominal region, but other parts of the body can also serve as injection sites), so that might be why I don't feel anything.

If you want to see what the insulin ritual looks like, step by step, watch this. Before I left the hospital, I was drilled on using an insulin pen. The lady doctor made me do the procedure three times on a special piece of rubber (simulating skin and flesh) before she was satisfied. That's good teaching: always check your student's knowledge.

I'm curious as to whether I can get the needles without a prescription. I have the insulin already (it's in my fridge), so that shouldn't be an issue. But the needles? I may have to visit my local doc if a prescription is necessary.

__________

*She was a cardiac doc, so this could have been out of her wheelhouse.



No comments: