Thursday, April 18, 2024

health update

The pulse oximeter had me at 98% this morning. BP was disconcertingly low at 124/69; I think my meds may be too strong: I feel tired all the time, at a guess from either low BP or low blood sugar. I'm also not used to having my BP this low, and since this state of affairs is due to meds, I didn't earn this as I have in the past. Weight is holding steady at 115.5 kg. I didn't take my blood sugar this morning; I'll do it either late tonight or tomorrow morning. (Yes, I'm aware of the need to take stats at the same time of day.)



1 comment:

Daniel said...

Sorry for the delay in posting a reply. Work was the usual crazy!

In terms of blood pressure, I believe 124/69 is still fine numerically (and the systolic is even ever so slightly above normal), but if you feel tired, that's not a good sign. But I would stick with the program for now and then ask for a dose reduction the next time you head up to Samsung. Also, depends on the types of hypertension meds they have you on. Beta blockers can make you feel exhausted but are necessary for heart failure patients in many instances, whereas telmisartan and other ARBs (collectively, the -sartans) prevent major fluctuations in pressure over a nearly 24 hour period. Likewise, for blood sugar, metformin and the newer SGLTi/GLP1a drugs won't give you hypoglycemia, whereas sulfonylureas and insulin are strongly associated with low blood sugar and the symptoms that you're currently experiencing.

On a related note, I wouldn't worry about 'earning' your lower pressure or glucose/A1C levels. The body could care less, although as you pointed out in an earlier post, it hates when modern medicine shifts the surplus glucose around from the blood to other organs and makes you pay dearly for such shiftiness over the long term.

But in the interim, to make sure there's no repeat of the heart failure decompensation episode, high-dose meds are probably your best bet. It may not dig out the root of the evil, but it'll sure trim the branches.

In any case, happy to hear your oxygen saturation is holding steady and your biggest worry now is exhaustion.