Friday, May 22, 2015

a new culinary low

The grossest thing I've seen in months lurks at the local convenience store. Behold the horror that is chocolate-covered shrimp crunches:


This is a Three Mile Island disaster of a snack. I saw it in the campus CU convenience store; several of my students noticed my facial expression and laughed. "I have to take a picture of this," I declared to more laughter.

Yet I admit I'm curious as to how it tastes. The artificial shrimp flavor and the artificial chocolate flavor might just work together in a way that real shrimp dipped in real chocolate would never work.


_

3 comments:

Elisson said...

It's all about the combination of salty and sweet. I've had bacon enrobed in milk chocolate - it's absolutely killer. Shrimp might just well work with chocolate if you can overcome your Western predisposition to think the combination gross.

Rory said...

The shit that has been done in the name of 'you don't know until you've tried it'...

These things are subjective, true. But the correct answer here is 'fuck, no'.

Oh, fuck it. Why not?

Indeed, you could gargle your own piss.

Kevin Kim said...

Elisson,

Yeah, I tweeted about shrimp and chocolate recently.

As for chocolate-covered bacon: here.

Rory,

Trust an Aussie to find an even lower culinary low. Then again, it could be that that wily Brit Bear Grylls beat you to it—not just a gargle, but a full-on gulp. Several gulps.