Friday, May 13, 2022

Strokiversary!

This is an especially auspicious Friday the 13th: it's my Strokiversary! I don't want to dwell on the whole stroke thing, but I thought I'd at least write out a little blurb, a sort of progress report on how things have been going since my stroke last May 13. Hard to believe it's already been a whole year.

I'll start by noting the obvious: I'm still alive and kicking. In general, I'd call myself fairly functional, and I did recover some lost skills over the past twelve months—things like being able to put on and take off my pants. My typing speed remains horrible; I'm no longer able to do 122 words per minute, and that's mainly because the brain-finger connection remains muddled. I don't always press on the keyboard's keys hard enough before moving on to the next letter; this results in skipped letters. And very often, my fingers will meatily land between keys. Both of these problems produce lots and lots of typos that I have to go back and fix, and this is what cuts my typing speed down. Right now, I think I'm just under 50 words per minute, which is depressing. Typing as slowly as I do hasn't affected my productivity at work all that much, luckily, and there are times when I think I do type quickly when I relax and stop trying to concentrate. (On a typing test, you're supposed to retype the words you see on the screen, not simply type whatever you want. This definitely affects your words-per-minute result.) Dealing with this has been a humbling lesson in patience.

A year after the stroke, I don't think I've lost my cooking skills, nor have I lost my language skills. I still speak in Korean with my Korean coworker at work, and I still write emails in French to my French family. My language centers seem more or less fine, although I wonder, sometimes, if the stroke didn't affect my French accent at least a little bit. I somehow don't feel quite as fluent anymore. Not sure what that's about.

Weight-wise, well, I immediately lost sixty pounds (28 kg, to be precise) over the first three months after my stroke, but I did regain about twenty-some pounds (10-11 kg) this past Christmas, and I've been dealing with that ever since. I'm still shooting for a goal weight of 90-some kilos by my July doctor's appointment; we'll see how that goes.

In terms of life plans, well, I still joke with people that I'll be dead by the time I'm 60. That certainly affects how I think about long-range plans. It did occur to me, a while back, that my dad had his heart attack when he was around 64. He and I no longer talk, but I assume he's been behaving himself, in terms of diet and fitness, ever since. He's married to a white American, now, so he no longer has to pick at Korean food he doesn't like (he could never eat spicy). He's over 80, now; I seriously doubt I'll live that long. That said, I'm doing what I can to keep myself from having a second stroke. I'm still struggling to find the proper balance as I continue to search for a sustainable lifestyle. I think the depressing reality is that I need to eat an extremely reduced-calorie diet to be healthy; my body greedily absorbs everything I put into it and, if I'm not working up a sweat, all those absorbed calories turn into fat. I'm the dietary incarnation of Murphy's Law, the "gains weight at the drop of a hat" guy.

That said, I have my walk along the Camino de Santiago to look forward to when I turn 60, and I'm still working on a number of book projects. It's not as though I have any reason ever to be bored; there's always something to do, and it's just a matter of doing it.

Hopefully, in another year, I'll be able to write about a second stroke-free year. I do know I was lucky that my own stroke wasn't severe; my American coworker's father had a stroke in Colorado several months after I'd had mine, and he's not doing nearly as well. My coworker says his dad can barely get around. I consider my own stroke a shot across the bow, a warning from Mother Nature about Not Overdoing It. Well, I'm listening, and I've retained the moral lesson that what I put in my body is a matter of life and death. That said, I'm not going to deprive myself of the pleasure of living; it's just a matter of striking the right balance, as I alluded to above: I must behave myself, but I should also cut loose once in a while.

May you also remain happy and healthy and stroke-free. As Tyrone the Six-fingered Man says in "The Princess Bride," "If you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything."



5 comments:

The Maximum Leader said...

I'm very glad to have you alive and kicking.

Kevin Kim said...

Thanks. Happy to be here.

John Mac said...

Yep, glad it wasn't worse and happy that you've made such a remarkable recovery. I think you have the right attitude as you continue to move forward on your life journey. It's been said that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and now you are a living example of that.

Kevin Kim said...

Here's hoping the healing isn't done.

Charles said...

Wow. It doesn't seem like it's been a year since then. Congrats.