Sunday, November 27, 2022

cause for despair

I wrote the following on Instapundit a day or so ago in response to how Elon Musk is rolling back a lot of the damage caused by the leftist wokies at Twitter before Musk's takeover:

I cheer, along with everyone else, what Musk is doing, but this is accompanied by the sad realization that swamp-draining really does require help from the rich and powerful, like Musk, who are motivated to solve these deep problems and do some good. Could normal citizens have laid bare the dark machinations of Twitter? I don't think so. It doesn't much bolster my confidence in "the power of the people." When it comes to major changes in society, we hoi polloi can't do much, I think, short of engaging in violent revolution. We are a huge, armed populace, still quiescent, and in theory, we could accomplish great things at gunpoint, but revolutions carry their own risks once the dust settles. All that said, I don't want to think of myself as a mere plaything of the powerful, but I can't help feeling it's the rich, powerful, and influential among us who create the tides that carry the rest of us along.

I'm open to hearing the opposite viewpoint. Hopeful, even.

Many religions ask you to accept and embrace your own smallness in the face of larger forces. American values ask you to cherish the power that comes with your human freedom. But how much power do we really have when we lack money and means?

And to be clear: I don't care how much Musk improves Twitter: I'm never going back. Freedom of speech might improve, and canceled people might be un-canceled, but as long as the usual idiots remain on the platform, I have no reason to go back. Burn it all with fire, I say.



No comments: