Monday, November 28, 2022

chowder

I had to add some herbs and seasonings, but the ad hoc chowder that I made from Thanksgiving ingredients came out well enough:

This was mainly a way to deal with those disappointing peas. So I dumped in all of the peas and carrots, and I added most of the corn pudding, and I slipped in most of the rest of my chicken roulade, which was made with bacon and smoked duck. Oh, yes: I also dumped in the rest of my mashed potatoes; I was too lazy to cube and boil more, so I simply let the mashed potatoes add to the rib-sticking texture of the overall chowder. Because of all the heavy cream I poured in, I also added a tiny bit of salt, a good deal more pepper, some powdered garlic, and a mess of dried parsley. Overall, I think the Gestalt makes for a good chowder that I've containerized and will eat over the next few days. This will wreak havoc on my blood sugar, but my blood sugar's been shot for a while. Extreme penance to follow once all the leftovers have been dealt with. The penance will be a nice lead-up to Christmas.

I should say, too, that the roulade might have tasted salty on Thanksgiving, but it tasted a lot better over the ensuing days. Couldn't say why. Maybe my duck/bacon theory of saltiness was wrong. I did preserve enough of the roulade to eat it properly on a plate along with a mess of other trimmings; the rest of the roulade ended up in the chowder. What kind of chowder is this closest to? Corn chowder? Pot-pie filling? Maybe. Maybe it's something else. Let's just call it a Thanksgiving chowder that was and will be good.



No comments: