Tuesday, November 15, 2022

the women suddenly love me

There's a lady staffer at my building's basement grocery who actually takes an interest in my long-walk adventures. Just the other day, she and I were talking about my latest walk, and she mentioned putting up videos on YouTube. I told her that I normally take photos and upload them to my blog. I'm not sure whether she was up on the by-now-ancient concept of blogging. She asked me if it was like one of those Naver sites, and I said, "Kind of." I wanted to give her my various walk blogs' addresses so that she, too, could experience the boredom of long-ass slide shows, but I didn't want to ask her for a Kakao address or phone number to text my links to. So I told her that, the next time I saw her, I'd give her a paper with my blogs' URLs on it, along with instructions on how to navigate a blog. I jokingly call this staffer my "grocery girlfriend," but she's married and has kids (probably grown up by now, given her age). Still, it was nice to bask in her interest. She's kind of cute for a forty-ish lady, but I can't tell her that.

At my office, just yesterday, a young female staffer was in the kitchenette brushing her teeth when I lumbered in to use the water dispenser and wash some dishes. Interrupting her brushing, and quite out of the blue (people from her office down the hall don't usually talk to me; they bow in greeting, but that's normally about it), she exclaimed that she hadn't seen me in a while. This of course turned into an opportunity for me to blab about my recent Jeju/Andong walk, and it was only after the conversation was over that I belatedly pondered the implications: she'd noticed my absence! Of course, my male brain immediately turned that into the fantasy that she'd actually missed me for whatever reason, but that sort of thing is typical of the male brain, so while it was a pleasing fantasy (the staffer was a cute twenty-something), I know better than to think anything might come of it. Besides, I'm old enough to be the girl's grandfather at this point.



1 comment:

John Mac said...

"Besides, I'm old enough to be the girl's grandfather at this point."

You say that like it's a bad thing. I've got a dinner date with a 22-year-old coming up this week.

I'm 45 years her senior. Does that make me old enough to be her GREAT grandfather?