Wednesday, April 17, 2024

the dalliance is over, I think

I never mentioned how inflated my stats for March were: I was averaging several tens of thousands of daily visits, and by the end of the month, my visit total was 767,165 (24.7K/day). That's impossibly high and not at all the norm, but it built upon February, when I had 146,738 unique visitors (about 5,060/day). This month, though, I've gone from five-digit site-visit numbers to four-digit numbers, and it wouldn't surprise me if I ended April right back at my usual norm, i.e., a lowly 600-ish visits per day (so far this month, I have 199,454 daily visits over 17 days, an average of about 11.7K visits a day). 

The bots have gotten bored with me, I think, and since they were bots all along, I never really achieved blog-celebrity status. No one came knocking on my door to bask in my "fame," and no special status accrued to me. I continue to labor in obscurity, and my numbers will soon reflect that reality again. I think I have a small, semi-faithful core of viewers/readers who don't read the blog every day, nor do they comment every day, but they're at least a little loyal to what I'm doing, sticking with me through thick and thin... sort of. This really ought to feel like a relief; it certainly never felt the way fame is supposed to feel. That's because it's all artificial. Maybe this is the hollowness of AI.



1 comment:

John Mac said...

No bots bother with me...I guess AI gets bored, too. I'm consistently around 200 unique views a day. I used to try to promote my blog by linking some posts on Facebook, but these days, I prefer the freedom that comes with anonymity. It's always surprising to encounter a stranger who knows me from LTG.

For what it is worth, I enjoy your blog as much or more than those big-number guys out there. I like the mix of topics (all politics all the time gets boring) and you find and share videos I wouldn't otherwise know about it. So, think of your blogging as a public service. Thank you!