Sunday, April 07, 2024

the haegol 해골

Haegol 해골 is the Korean word for "skull." I was trolling around on Etsy for the ugly stuff I like, using keywords like octopus and skull. That's when I stumbled upon this one skull that filled me with the desire to possess it. I'm not sure when the package arrived; the tracking number wasn't very helpful; when I'd checked earlier today, the delivery site still said the package was en route. But Etsy had emailed me a rating form, which meant they had been signaled that my package had arrived. So I swung by my building's lobby and checked in with the guard, who brought out a box. Here, then, is the unboxing of my own memento mori. I'll be taking it to the office.

Ignore my big toe. (Of course, you can't now. Like telling someone not to think of a hamburger.)


like an archaeological mystery

up from the styrofoam

The out-thrust teeth and, by implication, the long philtrum, indicate primitivity.

Memento mori! But death is just a species of change.

from a company called Near & Deer

This will occupy a place of honor on my office desk. I have no formal display space, but I'll figure something out.



No comments: