Tuesday, May 07, 2024

keto(?) fly lye

Keto (or rather, low-carb because it has carrots) fried rice is basically fried rice but with "riced" cabbage instead of real rice. I put three different proteins in this batch: eggs, spam, and shrimp. I had some chicken at the ready, but laziness overcame me, and I left it out. I'll eat the chicken breasts separately.

before everything got mixed: eggs, spam, shrimp, shrooms, and mixed vegetables (not visible)

after mixing

after adding garlic powder, soy sauce, and sesame oil, then remixing 

one serving in a bowl... tastes good

I've made this before, and I noticed that, in the end, it's not really about the rice since there are so many other ingredients. I cheated, this time, and used a frozen "fried-rice mix" of vegetables—all pre-cut and ready to sizzle up in a pan. I added shiitake mushrooms (called pyogo/표고 in Korean), chopped up the shrimp, and pan-fried everything in batches, putting it all together at the very end, along with soy sauce, sesame oil, and a dusting of garlic powder. I can't say I'm all that concerned about Uncle Roger's opinion of my fried rice; I eat what I like, and it tastes fine to me. The carrots, which are carby, are the only thing keeping this dish from being truly keto. I often put peas in my fried rice, but I didn't have any this time around. I have enough low-carb fried rice to last me through the coming short week (we had Monday off); I'll eat the dish with my usual salad, then go for a walk every evening. Even in the rain.

UPDATE: I added the chicken breast after shredding it, so I had close to 1200 grams of food that I portioned out into roughly 300-gram bags that I stuck in the freezer. I'll take out one per day and microwave it for lunch. Each portion contains four different kinds of protein, pyogo mushrooms, and vegetables, with carrots being the carbiest thing. I'll have a salad alongside this. I'm also pondering not having my morning smoothie: as I discovered on my Saturday walk uphill, I wasn't woozy despite having taken my meds the night before and not eating breakfast. I'd been drinking the smoothie simply as part of the Newcastle diet but also to keep the post-meds vertigo away. 



No comments: