Thursday, May 24, 2018

next 2 kg: almost done

From last night to this morning, I slow-cooked the second and final load of about 2 kilos' worth of pork. It's always nice to wake up to a pleasant aroma. For this batch, I skipped the Coke and did a more classic solution of Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, apple-cider vinegar, liquid smoke, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Had I added ketchup, these would have been the elements for a homemade barbecue sauce.

Here's what the second batch looked like while still in the pot:


A horror show, I realize, but it tastes and smells far better than it looks. I have yet to pull the above pork. I simply turned off the cooker and will do the pulling once I'm home from work. The meat is so fatty that I'm not particularly worried about it drying out while it cools.

Here's the first batch, pulled and sauced, after a whole day in the fridge:


My blackened toes make an appearance in the above pic. I'd say I was sorry, but I like to think that the appearance of my toes makes the food more appetizing.

ADDENDUM: still to do tonight:

1. Cut 45 slider rolls in half, butter them, and gently pan-fry them. Let cool before packing.

2. Turn a hypertrophic head of cabbage into enough cole slaw for 15 people.

3. De-fat, pull, and sauce the pork. Take a third of this latest batch and char it under the broiler, then mix in with the rest of the pork (how do you write "pork" in l33+? "teh pr0k"?).



No comments: