Wednesday, January 01, 2020

one thing I got myself for Christmas

I treated myself to two Christmas gifts in 2019. Below is one:



This is a thirtieth-anniversary edition of Alan Moore's The Killing Joke, one of the most famous and most beloved graphic novels ever to see the light of day. This edition features the original-print version from the 1980s, plus a re-colored version done by Brian Bolland, the artist who drew all the images. Bolland was appalled by the coloring job done by colorist John Higgins (who also colored Moore's Watchmen): Bolland had wanted darker, more muted, more serious tones. Decades later, he fixed the problem himself.

And now, I'm the proud owner of a hardback copy of this classic tale. I was inspired, after watching "Joker," to purchase this edition. While I'm neither a comics nerd nor a comics collector, I thought it might be nice to treat myself to this story, which I haven't read in years.



No comments: