Wednesday, November 09, 2022

11,627

Right after I reported getting close to 11K site visits, the avalanche petered out and turned into a trickle. For whatever reason, even though I configured my blog such that it's in the Seoul time zone, my site meter tracks hits in a time period that goes from 9 a.m. to 9 a.m. It's strange, but there we are. My blog-post time stamps show Seoul time accurately, but the site meter moves to the beat of its own drummer. By 9 a.m. this morning (Wednesday, November 9, 2022), I had 11,627 unique visits over the previous 24 hours. So I won't need to video myself having sex with a turkey or whatever it was that I'd promised to do.

As of this writing, I'm already over 500 visits today, so this will likely end up being another 2,000-ish day, I think. I can't explain why I had so many visits yesterday; I believe I've mentioned before that I've had legitimate avalanches in the past. Those were usually prompted by someone in some foreign country searching for a particular term, finding my blog, then pointing a bunch of people my way because my blog contained an answer to a question that a lot of people had been asking. This sort of thing is rare, but it happens once in a while. This time, though, I suspect bots. My current site meter is too basic for in-depth traffic analysis (something the SiteMeter widget used to be good at before it went insane), so I can't parse out who, among my visitors, is a bot and who is a real person. Alas.

Upshot: I don't seriously think I'll be enjoying 11K-level daily traffic from now on. That spike was just that—a spike. It doesn't represent temporary fame or anything like that, as much as I might wish it did. Rest assured that I still labor in obscurity.



4 comments:

  1. Well, thank Jebus for that. I would hate to think that you were going to get all famous on us. I can't be hanging around a popular blogger's site, after all. That just wouldn't be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember one-time several years ago, I somehow managed to get an Instapundit link. It was a crazy tsunami-like day, but the tide receded, never to be seen again.

    So, now I've settled into a 200-readers-per-day mode, and I'm thankful that this loyal group enjoys and appreciates the drivel I post. There's some comfort in obscurity and anonymity.

    Anyway, keep on doing what you do. I've never seen a blog with a better eclectic mix of thoughts and subjects that you produce on a daily basis. Your movie and TV show reviews are the best on the internet, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete

READ THIS BEFORE COMMENTING!

All comments are subject to approval before they are published, so they will not appear immediately. Comments should be civil, relevant, and substantive. Anonymous comments are not allowed and will be unceremoniously deleted. For more on my comments policy, please see this entry on my other blog.

AND A NEW RULE (per this post): comments critical of Trump's lying must include criticism of Biden's lying on a one-for-one basis! Failure to be balanced means your comment will not be published.