Friday, December 16, 2022

del Toro's "Pinocchio" vs. Disney's "Pinocchio"

I found this to be pretty educational:

Strangely, this makes me even more morbidly curious to see the Disney production, but it's apparently available only on Disney Plus, which I don't subscribe to, so I guess I won't be seeing it unless it becomes available via another service. I've heard several critics use the adjective soulless to describe the Disney production; this is an accusation that's been levied against director Robert Zemeckis before ("The Polar Express" comes to mind, with its creepy uncanny-valley animation). But remember that Zemeckis is also the guy who gave us "Back to the Future," one of the most awesome movies of the 80s, so he's capable of producing soulful work. I think he tends to fall down when it comes to animation (although I did like his "Beowulf" despite its flaws). Based on the things I've heard about the Zemeckis "Pinocchio," though, it's sounding as though this falls into the "unnecessary remake" category.



No comments: