Thursday, November 04, 2021

fitting in jump rope

Continuing in the spirit of not wanting to do my building's staircase all the time, I'm changing my Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday routine this way: Tuesdays will be devoted to regular stair work inside my building; Thursdays will be the creekside staircases (12 creekside staircases = 1.5 times up my building's staircase); Saturday (the day I do my long walks) will be devoted to jumping rope. It's good cardio, and it burns a lot of calories in a short time (see here).

That last one is something I do only slowly, and I had started practicing it over a year ago, but then I slacked off and am now pretty much back to square one. So maybe, if I practice with the jump rope once a week, I won't be so lame at it after several months' practice. I think that, at first, I'll set number goals for jumping rope, just to make sure I do a certain amount of exercise, no matter how many times I have to stop and start over. E.g., this Saturday, maybe I'll do only 100 reps, then every week after that, I'll move the reps up by 50 until I finally hit 1,000 reps, at which point I ought to be "fluent" enough at jump-roping to switch over to counting minutes instead of reps. 

Will I reach a point where I can do double-unders and crossovers, which are the cool moves you see boxers do when they train? I won't know until I try.

It occurs to me, too, that I'm going to have to video myself doing all these exercises at some point because I know there's going to be a question of believability. Is he really doing 50 pushups? Is he really doing 2 pullups? Is he really climbing 26 floors three times? Is he really doing 1,000 reps with the jump rope? I can easily imagine there being doubters, so stay tuned. I can't say when, but footage of me doing some of these exercises might start appearing sometime next year, especially once the shoulder heals.



2 comments:

Charles said...

I think anyone who reads your blog knows that you're going to be honest about what you are achieving. There is a chance that the very act of recording itself might provide some motivation, though, and if that's the case I say go for it.

Kevin Kim said...

"Video, or it didn't happen!"