Sunday, November 07, 2021

what the hell got into me?

I walked to Bundang again last night, lengthening my path by half a kilometer by walking along the opposite side of the creek for the first time (very entertaining). I did the 18.5-kilometer walk in 3 hours and 35 minutes (6:30-10:05 p.m.), giving me a walking speed of 5.02 kph. My secret? I jogged a portion of the route. What the hell got into me?

To be clear, the act of jogging is hard for me post-stroke. A weird fog fills my brain when I try to move faster than a walk, and balance becomes an issue yet again. I'm not sure I can sustain a jog, and in fact, what I did last night was to jog 30 steps, walk 50 steps, then jog 30 steps. I did this a few dozen times. The night was cool, and I felt energetic enough to try jogging as a way to move a little faster (by "step," I mean 2 paces, left-right, counting a step every time my left foot hit the ground). Having jogged a portion of the trail, I decided to forgo jumping rope when I got back home. 

I made a discovery, last night, that I probably could have deduced long ago had I looked more closely at a map: the creek's final left turn into Bundang doesn't involve any part of the creek branching off and going to the right. I was so sure that I would have to cross a bridge to get to Jeongja Station that I was genuinely surprised when my across-the-creek path simply swung left and continued parallel to the path I normally take. You learn something new every day, right? Anyway, it was nifty to walk along the creek's opposite side for once; I plan to do it again soon for the slight change of scenery that the path offers. And maybe I'll jog the path again. Who knows?



No comments: