Sunday, July 31, 2022

cycling paths in the Philippines

Really interesting article about bike paths in the Philippines here.

While on her way to another hospital shift as a radiology clerk in Metro Manila, April boarded a bus and watched the news with her fellow commuters. The rise of COVID-19 cases in the Philippines led the government to announce an extensive lockdown, which included suspending all public transport operations. April doesn’t own a car and she couldn’t afford to miss work because she has to provide for her elderly mother and disabled brother. This meant she and other healthcare workers would have to walk for hours after a long shift. But she soon realized she had another option. 

“I never thought of riding a bike to the hospital before,” April recounted. “But when we healthcare workers didn’t have the option to use public transport, I tried to pedal. At first, I was nervous, especially on major roads. But in the long run, we got used to it and became more confident.” 

Just like April, scores of commuters who used to rely mostly on public transport turned to cycling as a result of the pandemic. And many stuck to their bike even after mass services resumed. With more and more cyclists converging on main roads, it was necessary for the national government to think about solutions for accommodating the growing number of bikes and ensuring all road users can get around safely. 

Within 9 months, the Philippines was able to create almost 500 kilometers of bike lanes along national roads. This multi-sectoral effort went a long way in raising the profile of cycling as a reliable and sustainable form of transport. Importantly, it also empowered and inspired local governments and communities to add on to the new network by building their own bike lanes.

[ . . . ]

Image
Almost 65% of respondents from a post-construction survey said that they used active transport and light mobility vehicles (LMVs) more once the cycling infrastructure was introduced. 

As the cycling network grows in the Philippines, healthcare workers like April now have another safe and healthy way to get around. 

“Even after the lockdown, I will still use my bike to go to work and go home,” April said, “because I believe I will not only help lessen the pollution, but I will also help myself get fit.” 

With the continued partnership and support of communities and civil society, governments can continue to invest in active mobility infrastructure—and many others can join April on this journey toward healthier cities and communities.

The presence of safe, walkable bike paths might actually tempt me to visit the Philippines. It's a Southeast Asian country, which means oppressive heat and humidity, two things I deplore (which is why I'm hating Korean summer).  But the thought of being able to plan and walk a bike path there might make such a trip meaningful. I won't go there until the country drops its stupid "vaccine" restrictions, though. Here's hoping the PI lets go of its fear.

Note: 500 km of bike path is not very much if we assume that that distance is spread over many separate paths. I'll need to see which path is the longest. If I were to hit the PI, I might have to hike several small paths instead of a long one. For perspective: the east-coast path I walked was about 610 km, and the Four Rivers Path has an official distance of 633 km.



1 comment:

John Mac said...

I actually hadn't heard about this, but I avoid the shithole that is Manila like a plague. Granted, a bike path is better than dodging traffic (if these genuinely are separate from the highway), but there's no escaping the urban blight that surrounds you. (okay, to be fair, parts of Manila, like Makati, are decent). The last time I was there was taking care of some business at the embassy. There is a nice path fronting Manila Bay that was comparatively pleasant to walk.

If you decide to come to the PI, there are much better places to see. In fact, I wouldn't even fly into Manila. Clark (in Angeles) is a much better option.