Wednesday, July 20, 2022

finishing off my Netflix queue

I have two more shows that I want to watch on Netflix: "Squid Game" (even though I know everything about it), and Chris Pratt's "The Terminal List," which is apparently loved by regular audiences but triggering for woke movie critics, who universally hate it. (Here's The Critical Drinker on why.) I'm also plowing through my fourth Will Jordan novel, Black List, as well as reading my friend Neil's novel This Gangster Is One of Your Own. (My review of Gangster will probably end up on Amazon.) Once I finish up my Netflix queue and those novels, I've got a ton of films to work through in my Amazon Prime Video queue, but I might hold off on those for a while so I can concentrate more fully on personal projects. Same goes for my Apple TV queue (formerly iTunes), where I have "White Collar" and "Ash Versus Evil Dead" waiting for me. (Those series will likely be how I reward myself after I get through my current book project.) "White Collar" is a show I loved, but I saw only the first few seasons, and I've been dying to find out how the series ends. Meanwhile, I continue to chip away at my own book project, but it's going to be a few months before there's any real progress. I'm actually thinking of taking my Korean friend's suggestion and splitting the review book up into a series of smaller books. That's going to murder my unused ISBNs, of which only eight remain from the bundle of ten I had bought before self-publishing Think Like a Teacher. Anyway, there's plenty to watch, read, and write, so I'll be busy for months to come.



4 comments:

John from Daejeon said...

Have you seen "Midnight Mass?" Your religious background makes me curious as to what you would think about it, especially as it runs the gamut from the truly inspiring to the truly horrifying. It should be horrifying as it is a horror show, but just the religious ( mostly Catholic here) aspect is beyond horrifying as well.

Kevin Kim said...

I've heard of "Midnight Mass," and I've seen Chris Stuckmann's YouTube commentary about it. Looks interesting, but I'm generally not a horror fan because, for me, horror usually isn't all that scary.

John from Daejeon said...

It's two part horror by design, I believe. The Catholic church/doctrine starts inspiring before ascending/descending into truly religious and cult horror. The second horror (used in many mainstream films and programs) is meh in comparison. The religion views are what to watch this for. And after watching, I am torn as to whether I watched a near TV masterpiece or wasted 3 out of 7 hours of my life.

Charles said...

I'm still trying to figure out how a crisp rat became a big Hollywood star.

(Hat tip to Ryan George, of course.)