Thursday, November 10, 2022

grilled cheese and tomato soup

I used my vegan cheddar to make a grilled-cheese sandwich last night. I can't properly call it a vegan sandwich since I'm pretty sure the bread I used, Korean milk bread, is thoroughly non-vegan. What I wanted to test, though, was how the vegan cheese would behave in a grilled-cheese situation, and in the end, it behaved just like normal cheese, melting in exactly the same way and having the same texture as melted American cheese. The melting even solved the chalkiness/grittiness problem I'd mentioned before.

Along with the sandwich, I made a quickie tomato soup using pre-made ingredients: part of a bottle of spaghetti sauce ("tomato" flavor, which included garlic, some herbs, and tomato chunks) mixed with a good quantity of heavy cream. I had wondered whether I should add some herbs and seasonings of my own, but since the tomato sauce I used was already flavored, I added nothing more. And the results were fantastic! As quickie tomato soups go, you can't go wrong doing what I did. Just don't let the heavy cream dominate the soup.

Sorry I don't have pictures, but rest assured the meal was good. Grilled cheese and tomato soup are a classic American pairing, and everything worked out fine.



3 comments:

  1. And here I thought you had blended up some grilled cheese into a tomato soup. That actually sounds like it might be pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should blend everything together, pour it into molds, freeze it, and make popsicles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say, "At this time of year?" but it has been unseasonably warm lately. And with the horrendous air quality that comes with warm temperatures in late fall/winter. It looks like pea soup outside my window right now.

    Mmm. Pea soup.

    ReplyDelete

READ THIS BEFORE COMMENTING!

All comments are subject to approval before they are published, so they will not appear immediately. Comments should be civil, relevant, and substantive. Anonymous comments are not allowed and will be unceremoniously deleted. For more on my comments policy, please see this entry on my other blog.

AND A NEW RULE (per this post): comments critical of Trump's lying must include criticism of Biden's lying on a one-for-one basis! Failure to be balanced means your comment will not be published.