Thursday, February 18, 2021

ululate...?

Rush Limbaugh has died, having lost his battle with lung cancer.  Wikipedia:

Limbaugh, a cigar and former cigarette smoker, was diagnosed with advanced lung cancer on January 20, 2020, after first experiencing shortness of breath on January 12; he had previously questioned the link between smoking and cancer deaths, arguing that smokers were not at any greater risk than people who "eat carrots."

Limbaugh was a month over 70.

My apologies to Limbaugh's many fans, but I found him loud, obnoxious, and boorish.  I may have agreed with him on certain policy issues, but I found Limbaugh to be the worst sort of representative of and advocate for the conservative viewpoint.  Loudmouths like Rush, Ann Coulter, and Bill O'Reilly did and do much to damage the conservative cause.

I'm also not convinced that Rush made a lot of sense.  I never sat through a single one of his radio broadcasts, but at the behest of certain online commentators whom I trust, I did click over, once or twice, to read transcripts of those broadcasts.  And Good Lord, it was like wading through word salad.  I'm not saying the transcripts were utterly incoherent, but the meandering, often-unstructured way Limbaugh put his thoughts together struck me as... well, in need of extreme editing.

Rush died of lung cancer, apparently not believing there was any correlation between smoking and lung cancer.  So if you're a fan of Rush, well... smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Tim Pool on Rush's departure from this plane of existence:

I don't gloat about Limbaugh's death, but to be frank, I don't mourn the man, either.



No comments: