Monday, November 07, 2022

militant Sufis?

My admittedly limited readings regarding Sufism have led me to think of this mystical branch of Islam as peaceful, but during a Sunday-afternoon conversation with Jeff Hodges, Jeff pointed out that Sufism has a militant subculture. I'd never heard such a thing before, so I knew it was time to read up on militant Sufism, which I looked up on Google. 

Here are some references:

Wikipedia: Militant Sufi Organizations

Sufism's Militant Face

Sufism, the Army, and Holy War

Political Ambitions Turn Sufis into Militants

That final link argues that militant Sufism is a fairly recent convention, whereas the article before it speaks of "proto-Sufis" who appeared "during the first centuries of Islam."

So I've learned something new, and I guess militant Sufis do exist. Does that change my overall characterization of Sufism? No. I think there's a mountain of literature out there that will affirm Sufism to be, generally speaking, a radically peaceful branch of Islam. This article, titled "Are Sufis Always Peaceful?", argues that Sufis are generally peaceful, although it acknowledges the existence of militant Sufis.



1 comment:

READ THIS BEFORE COMMENTING!

All comments are subject to approval before they are published, so they will not appear immediately. Comments should be civil, relevant, and substantive. Anonymous comments are not allowed and will be unceremoniously deleted. For more on my comments policy, please see this entry on my other blog.

AND A NEW RULE (per this post): comments critical of Trump's lying must include criticism of Biden's lying on a one-for-one basis! Failure to be balanced means your comment will not be published.